Week Eighteen – Monday

Additional thwart supports glued to planking

Additional thwart supports glued to planking

After installing the thwarts we found there was quite a bit of flex in the plywood, probably due to the fact they were only screwed, not glued. To solve the problem we added some additional braces to the sides of the hull. That seems to have solved the problem. I’m sure if the thwarts were epoxied in place that would be the strongest, however, we would like to be able to remove them for refinishing or to replace them with solid wood in the future.

The last sanding before painting

The last sanding before painting

We’ll be able to pack up the sanders after today. The interior got its final sanding before painting. Four coats, four days and after that the gunnels, thwarts and stems get a bright finish of of Sikkens Natural. The floorboards, cox seat and tiller have all been done.

Brackets to secure the oars when we're trailering the boat

Brackets to secure the oars when we’re trailering the boat

Because our boat will be launched from different sites around the area we needed a way of securing the oars during transportation. We made two brackets that will straddle the thwarts and clamp the oars in place.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s