Week Nine

On Week Four we shaped and fitted the inner stems and hog. This week we repeated the process on the outer stems and outer keel. The bevels on the stems and keel were planed on the bench with the hand power plane. The garboard planks were also planed level to create a 2″ wide surface where the keel attaches.

Planing the garboards where the keel attaches

Planing the garboards where the keel attaches

The sides of the keel were shaped on the bench using a hand power plane

The sides of the keel were shaped on the bench using a hand power plane

Checking the fit of the forward stem

Checking the fit of the forward stem

The stem is trimmed flush where the keel will be attached

The stem is trimmed flush where the keel will be attached

We got a start on making the oars this week. Laminations of spruce were glued up to form the 2-1/2″ square loom (shaft) with additional white oak pieces glued to the sides at the blade end. Sourcing lumber for the oars has been very difficult. Our first choice was sitka spruce but availability and cost forced us to look at alternatives. We ended up picking through the construction grade spruce at a local building supply for the straightest and knot-free boards we could find. It will be interesting to see how our first oar turns out.

Sanding the hull using a random orbital sander attached to a shop vac

Sanding the hull using a random orbital sander attached to a shop vac

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s