Week Three – Wednesday

Planks sorted and bundled

Planks sorted and bundled

Today we sorted and carefully checked all the planking material. After which the three pieces that make up each plank were bundled together and put aside to await their turn in the planking process.

Outer stems clamped around inner stems

Outer stems clamped around inner stems

When the clamps were removed from the inner stems the springback was very close to what we had estimated for the number of laminations. The inner stems were then cleaned up, covered in packing tape and placed back on the jigs so the outer stems could then be laminated around them. We’re hoping our second lamination job is as successful as the first. Next week we’ll be shaping the stems and hog in preparation for the garboards.

Week Three – Monday

Resawing the white oak into 3/8" strips on the bandsaw

Resawing the white oak into 3/8″ strips on the bandsaw

Dressing the strips to their final thickness of 1/4"

Dressing the strips to their final thickness of 1/4″

Slow drive to the shop this morning, roads covered in snow and the threat of freezing rain. All of that was forgotten once we got down to business preparing the white oak wood strips for the stems.  After re-sawing on the bandsaw, it was over to the thickness planer to dress the strips to their final thickness. Thirty-six pieces in total (2-1/4″ x 1/4″) for both inner and outer stems. After a trial clamping both inner stems were glued up. They’ll stay in the jig until Wednesday when we repeat the process with the outer stems.

All hands on deck, applying the epoxy

All hands on deck, applying the epoxy

We actually had a few clamps left over!

We actually had a few clamps left over!

Meanwhile the frames had their final touch up and the rudder got it’s initial shaping.

In the right hands, the angle grinder with sanding disk, proved the best way to bevel the frames

In the right hands, the angle grinder with sanding disk, proved the best way to bevel the frames

Week Two

On Monday, after installing the stem supports, the moulds were securely fastened to the building frame. Vertical braces were fastened to moulds 3, 6 & 9 and horizontal braces were added between each of the moulds making the setup very solid. We sanded and routed the inside edges of the laminated frames before attaching them to the moulds. The mould spacer bars were then removed to make the process of cleaning up the excess epoxy inside the boat easier when we start the planking.

Vertical and horizontal added to moulds

Vertical and horizontal added to moulds

Decision time

Decision time

Taping the moulds so they don't become a permanent fixture in the boat

Taping the moulds so they don’t become a permanent fixture in the boat

Wednesday, with the outside temperature reading -23C, we managed to keep warm and busy inside the shop. In preparation for next week’s big glueup of the stems, we constructed the laminating jig and organized all the clamps we have in the shop. We also got a start on fairing frames and the hog.

Preparing the laminating jig for the stems

Preparing the laminating jig for the stems

Fairing the frame at mould #3

Fairing the frame at mould #3

Week One

photo photo2

Day one was spent cutting the parts out of the plywood sheets and cleaning up the edges. We also managed to get most of the strongback built. For the rails and the cross beams, instead of using solid wood, we laminated and screwed together 5/8″ plywood strips. This made it very easy to get the 16′ rails straight.

photo3 photo4 photo5

Day two we finished off the strongback with the addition of some bracing. After the moulds were put together with spalls and plywood gussets, the four frames were glued up and then everything was set up on the strongback.

After only two days in the shop we were very pleased with how much we had accomplished. Things will slow down next week as we get started on the more precise work of stems, keel and planking.

Cross Border Shopping

Kit on TrailerBob and Greg securing kit on trailer

Things are officially underway. Today, Bob, Greg and myself (Chris) drove to the US side of the border at the Thousand Islands to pick up the St. Ayles Skiff kit. Everything went very smoothly, even the questions asked at the border were more out of personal interest about our project than giving us the third degree about the goods we were bringing into the country.

On Monday, some of us will start work on the strongback while the others in the group will get a chance to relive their childhood, removing all the bits and pieces from the plywood sheets like we did with balsa wood plane kits.